ePrivacy and GPDR Cookie Consent by Cookie Consent What is buildings and contents insurance? | Resi

Buildings And Contents Insurance

What is buildings and contents insurance?


Written by


Last updated Monday 13th December 2021

Ef9dd2fc fa15 4869 9119 d38dced70c31 copy

If you own your own home, whether it’s a two-bedroom flat or a four-bed detached property, you’ll need to have buildings insurance in place to ensure you would pay for any necessary repairs, should your home suffer any damage.

Depending on your lender and your circumstances, buildings insurance is usually a condition of your mortgage. If you own your own home, it makes sense to have this type of insurance in place and without it, you could be putting your mortgage and your home at risk.

What is buildings and contents insurance?

Buildings insurance covers damage to your home’s structure, such as the walls, roofing, floors, and often fixtures and fittings too. For instance, if you have a fitted kitchen or bathroom, your insurance is likely to pay for any repairs you need.

Contents insurance is for things like furniture, TVs, personal belongings and some types of flooring, including carpets. A simple way of putting it; if you turned your house upside down, contents insurance will cover you against the belongings that fall out of it. Different policies provide different levels of cover but usually you’ll be covered against theft, fire and flood.

You can buy both buildings and contents insurance separately or as a joint policy.

See how much you can borrow

Get an indicative idea of your borrowing potential by answering the simple questions below


What about accidental damage cover?

Alongside contents and buildings insurance, you may also hear about accidential damage cover. This insures your belongings against - you guessed it - accidental damage, and the extent of this coverage will depend on the policy you take. Make sure you research what policy gives the most protection and check whether or not it's part of your contents insurance, as it is usually optional.

How much cover do I need?

How much cover you need to have in place will depend on the value of your property and your personal possessions.

Think about what you might need to replace in the event of a robbery or a fire, and how much it would cost to replace these. This will help you work out how much cover you might need to take out.

Check what your individual insurer and policy cover is, as policies vary from one insurer to another in exactly what events you’re covered for, and for how much. Check that you’re happy with everything that the policy covers, as there can often be exclusions.

If you’d like to speak to a protection adviser to find out more about buildings and contents insurance, please feel free to contact us today.

If you enjoyed this post, you might enjoy our Resi Newsletter, sent weekly via email. Sign up here

Book a free architectural advice call

We offer free 30 minute phone consultations to help you and your project get the guidance you need

Select a date to view availability

Phone: +44203 868 9453 | Email: advice@resi.co.uk

Resi Design Ltd. trading as 'Resi' | Company No: 10471125

We are proud to employ architects registered with the Architects Registration Board and were awarded the mark for The Mayor's Good Work Standard for fair pay & conditions, wellbeing, skills, progression, diversity and recruitment.

Resi Finance Ltd is an appointed representative of Mortgage Advice Bureau Limited and Mortgage Advice Bureau (Derby) Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Resi Finance Ltd. Registered Office: International House Canterbury Crescent, Floor 4, London, England, SW9 7QE. Registered in England Number: 12327535